Westonbirt is the National Arboretum and its collection of woody plants is of international importance for scientific, conservation and heritage value. As such, all their specimen trees must be correctly labelled providing information both for members of the public and visiting specialists.
This volunteer role supports the Plant Records Officer in maintaining plant identification labels attached to Westonbirt’s specimen plants, giving key information about their origin, planting date and location.
Label cleaning takes place weekly from March-July and September-November. The activity normally takes place between 10am–3pm from Monday-Friday and you can choose which week day would suit you best. However, whilst Westonbirt understands that committing to participating every week is not always possible, a regular commitment is required.
? As a pair, you will walk to an area of the arboretum, move systematically through this area, cleaning the tree labels and re-fixing any that have become loose or detached. Squirrels and other wildlife do enjoy giving us a challenge to ensure labels remains firmly in place!
What are they looking for?
Enthusiastic, with a positive attitude and the ability to be part of a team.
? Westonbirt Arboretum will:
When: Variable times
Age requirements: All ages
Waste Drive, Tetbury, Gloucestershire, GL8 8QS
About Westonbirt, The National Arboretum (VG)
The arboretum's mission is to 'connect people with trees to improve the quality of life.' They achieve this through the following objectives:
- To maintain develop and document the arboretum as a world-class resource for science and learning
- To provide opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to learn about trees, their cultivation and importance in our lives
- To maintain and develop the arboretum as a place for healthy, enjoyable and rewarding recreation
- To conserve the arboretum's distinctive historical landscape and heritage
- To encourage a wide and diverse community of individuals and organisations to participate in their work
See all roles with Westonbirt, The National Arboretum (VG)