Dr Jenner’s House, Museum and Garden is situated in a splendid Grade II* Georgian house and beautiful garden, nestled in the historic market town of Berkeley, Gloucestershire. The former home of renowned doctor Edward Jenner, the museum tells the story of the life of this remarkable man and his pioneering work in the development of immunology and the beginnings of the science of vaccination.
They are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join their Front of House team to assist in the day-to-day running of the museum's reception and shop. The role includes providing a warm welcome for all visitors, answering queries and helping visitors to orientate themselves to ensure they have a comfortable, interesting and enjoyable visit. Besides providing an informative and cheerful welcome you will also offer practical advice, hand out leaflets and encourage sales of their Information guide.
You’ll join a dynamic and friendly team who are all enthusiastic about making the museum and its collections as accessible as possible. You’ll be part of a globally significant heritage site, helping to communicate Edward Jenner’s remarkable achievements and legacy to all who visit. You’ll join a dynamic group of sociable and friendly volunteers who enjoy social events and outings throughout the open season. You’ll enjoy a discount for in the shop and free entry to museum events. You’ll receive all the necessary training and have the opportunity to pursue your personal development goals. Plus you might like to explore the other voluntary roles we have on offer.
What are they looking for?
•The friendly face that welcomes visitors on their arrival at the house and ensures they have all the useful information for their visit.
The museum is open Sundays to Wednesdays, from 11.30 am – 5.30 pm. Their current open season lasts until 30 September 2015. The museum will also open especially for half-term from 25 - 30 October 2015. Volunteer expenses will be reimbursed. There is little public transport available to get to the location, so being able to drive would be helpful.
When: Monday morning, Monday afternoon, Tuesday morning, Tuesday afternoon, Wednesday morning, Wednesday afternoon, Thursday morning, Thursday afternoon, Friday morning, Friday afternoon, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon
Age requirements: Over 18
Dr Jenner's House, The Chantry, Church Lane, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, GL13 9BN
About Dr Jenner's House, Museum and Garden (VG)
1. Commemorate Edward Jenner and to maintain The Chantry, Church Lane, Berkeley, for the housing of historical documents, objects and memorabilia associated with Edward Jenner.
2. Maintain and manage The Chantry as a centre for education with particular reference to the Science of Immunology, and for charitable purposes for the benefit of the inhabitants of the town of Berkeley and the community at large.
1. To improve the status of the museum as a major tourist venue and attract more visitors.
2. To help preserve the memory of Edward Jenner.
3. To further develop the use of the museum as an educational centre for the study of Jenner's life and scientific achievements.
4. To organise activities/exhibitions reflecting the multi-cultural nature of Jenner's legacy.
5. To develop the museum website so that 'virtual' visitors can benefit from the work of the museum.
6. To secure the future of the museum.
See all roles with Dr Jenner's House, Museum and Garden (VG)