Friends of Hatherley Park
About this volunteer-involving organisation
The Mayor of Cheltenham, Mr. John Howell, formally opened Hatherley Park Recreation Ground on Saturday 29th April 1939. The ceremony was preformed in front of a large invited audience at the entrance to the pavilion.
Unemployed men had been recruited to work on what was a furrowed field on the estate. It took eighteen months to reshape and dredge the pond, level the playing field and carry out the planting. Cumberland stone had been used for the construction of the miniature waterfall, streams and rock garden.